Strengthening Families Initiative at Willis Education Center
The Delaware Speech and Hearing Center is a proud partner of the Strengthening Families Initiative of United Way. Our Speech Therapists and Occupational Therapists offer services at no charge at the Willis Education Center every week. There is a Speech Therapist available on Tuesdays from 130-4pm and Wednesdays from 2-5pm. An Occupational Therapist is available on Thursdays from 4-6pm.
The Willis Education Center is located at 74 West William Street in Delaware, Ohio. Below is a list of a summary of the services that we offer at the Willis Education Center.
1. Toy Library
- Check out toys for your child for up to 3 weeks at a time!
- A Speech Therapist or Occupational Therapist can assist you with selection of toys and show you examples of how to use the toy to expand your child’s speech, language or general development.
- A screening is a quick 10-15 minute check to see if further, more in-depth testing is needed.
- The Speech Therapist will determine if there is a reason to pursue an evaluation or if your child is developing typically.
3. Play Groups (No Registration Necessary! Please Drop In!)
- Early Childhood Groups (36 months to 6 years) – Every Tuesday at 4pm
- Toddler Groups (18 months to 35 months) – Every Wednesday at 5pm
- Picky Eaters Group (24 months to 7 years) – First Thursday at 430pm
- Sensory Play Group (18 months to 5 years) – Fourth Thursday at 430pm
- Speech Therapists and Occupational Therapists can work with parents on activities to use at home to promote development and communication.
- Referrals to other community programs
- Any questions or concerns about your child’s development.
There are other services in addition to speech and language services that include a Wellness Room staffed by Syntero, a Teen Community Room and a STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) Lab. More information can be found at https://www.liveuniteddelawarecounty.org/take-action/strengthening-families.
If you have questions about Speech Language Pathology or Occupational Therapy services, please call 740-369-3650 or email email@example.com.
Check out our last blog: The Value of Play: A Guided Play Activity